Old 18-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Adam Gottschalk

Default Observations in Respect to Beginners

In article ,
(Pat Patterson) wrote:

There are three things that a beginner should do...right at the beginning...
1. Read...read...read...then read some more.
2. Join a local club.
3. Take a beginners class.

Thanks for your consideration. I'm working on all the things you
discuss, as I guess one should do embarking on any new specialty. I
bought a used hard cover by Colin Lewis and Neil Sutherland which looks
to be very good.

I've been in touch with the Bonsai Society of Portland, but have yet to
assess how regular their meetings and classes are. I believe the fellow
in charge also has a nursery.

Because I have a great deal of experience growing/planting other things,
grains, veggies, fruit, flowers, shrubs and trees, in a number of
different parts of the country (from Florida to the Pacific Northwest),
I'm determined to start from seed. Seedlings and nurserly plants will
just feel like cheating and idle time to me.

From this NG and on my own I've gotten an idea of local things to try.
Of those, I'll hope the Portland Bonsai folks will help me determine
what might be good ones to start with. I assume I'll get lots of
resistance to the idea of a beginner starting with bonsai from seed, but
it's just the way it has to be :-) Thanks again.

BTW, what's "IBC"? I can venture a guess, but all I know is I'm posting
on rec.arts.bonsai