Old 18-04-2004, 03:04 AM
zxcvbob

Default giant ground wasp colony

Rob wrote:

We have an absolutely huge colony of wasps on a strip of lawn. There is
about a one foot tall mound of dirt that appears to be their main entrance,
but they have literally hundreds of other entrances over a 30' x 8' area.
At any given time during the day, there are dozens of bees all over that
stretch of yard. When we have guests over, this is the area they usually
park in. How can I possibly kill a colony this large, there must be
thousands of wasps.

A generous pinch of insecticide dust or wetable powder, tossed at the mouth
of an entrance hole early in the morning before they wake up, or in the
early evening as they are almost settling down for the night. They will
get the dust on their feet and track it into the hive and poison the nest.

Methoxychlor 50WP works well; I've used it a couple of times on huge
inaccessable yellow jacket nests. Sevin 10% dust should be good too, but
not as fast acting (keep sevin away from honey bees!) If you don't want
to use chemical poisons, you can try rotenone dust but I don't know how
well it will work.

-Bob