Old 18-04-2004, 04:34 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Raccoons in my yard?

On 15 Apr 2004 07:53:26 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

...they couldn't get through catflaps.

Ah, I hate to say this, but young ones *can* get in via a cat
flap. Several years ago, I had one invade, entering via the flap
in the basement door, go upstairs to the kitchen, gorge on cat
chow, muddy the water bowl, and depart without damaging anything.

A live trap in the basement baited with stinky canned cat food
caught him making a return visit a day or two later. He was
deported several miles away, and was one very unhappy raccoon
when released after his ride in the trunk of the car.

BTW, if any urgler finds themselves having to trap raccoons, be
extremely careful. They have long, sharp claws and can (and will)
do a lot of damage. Make sure your trap has a sheet metal guard
around the handle so they cannot reach you, and wear heavy
leather gloves just in case.

A friend-of-a-friend got clawed in the hand by a raccoon,
infection rapidly set in, and it was a year before his hand fully
recovered.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada