Old 18-04-2004, 05:28 AM
kenty ;-\)

Default Toddler and laburnum

Rosie,like most have said it would be a shame to fell the tree.I am not
going to get on my high horse and tell you how to look after your own
children ,I have two and know what a handful & how unpredictable they can
be.Sometimes how many times do you find yourself saying no to a child they
drive you up the wall,and will do things anyway!Someone has said that you
should not allow small child to wander a garden alone,what do you call
small,I have a son he is just walking,I would not let him wander alone,but I
have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who I would allow.Why don`t you plant shrubs
& perennials around the tree making a border so the berries & tree can not
be accessed by kids.You can`t follow kids 24/7 and need piece of mind that
your kids can not do harm to themselves if you turn your back!After all the
garden is supposed to be a place for relaxation & you can`t do that if you
are constantly worrying & following them about.

Thanks Keith,UK.
"Emery Davis" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:03:25 +0100, "Rosie" said:

] I have a toddler and a medium-sized laburnum tree at the back of my

garden,
] which seems to produce a lot of seeds.
]
] How poisonous are these seeds? They do seem to get everywhere. Would I

be
] best off getting rid of the tree?
]
] (Obviously she isn't left to wander around the garden by herself, but

she
] does like shoving things in her mouth.)
]
] ROSIE
]
]

Rosie,

Read the replies with interest. Just worth noting that Laburnum seeds are

also
a choking hazard. A friend's little girl ended in hospital with one

lodged in her
throat. (She's fine now.)

We have kids 5 and 7, and Laburnum. They're pretty good about learning

what
not to do, safety-wise, so we have (knock on wood) had no problems. That

said
as has been pointed out no child is completely reliable! Seems to me life

is full
of hazards, Laburnum is less serious than some...

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis