Old 18-04-2004, 05:30 AM
Kay Easton

Default fly eating plants

In article , Sacha
writes

Kay, we bought two Saracenias yesterday at the RHS road show from The Little
Shop of Horrors chap. I have never been especially interested in
carnivorous plants before and had no idea how beautiful they can be. We're
going to buy a few from him wholesale and will be going up to visit him
soon. He suggests keeping them in a just frost free greenhouse in the
winter because, he says, being too warm encourages them too grow *too* much,
thus exhausting themselves! Has that been your experience of them?

I've only grown one Saracenia, many years ago, and then dried it out
during some domestic crisis ;-)
But until then it was coping very happily in our greenhouse, which in
winter fluctuated between 32 and 40 deg F. Flowered too :-) Very showy
and long lasting.

Butterworts are good too - I don't know how saleable they are, as
they're not quite so dramatically carnivorous - they have sticky fly-
paper leaves. But purple flowers like big violets, and a very long
flowering season - mine have been in continuous flower for the last 18
months, a welcome sight in the winter. I also have a smaller one, tiny
neat rosettes about 1.5 inches across, with correspondingly smaller
flowers, which is more intermittent in its flowering, with pinkier mauve
flowers.

The sundews look very attractive if you keep them wet enough and in
sunlight, as the have little drops of sugary water on the ends of all
their hairs.

I don't know how much you remember of this place but there's a small,
square, conservatory type greenhouse by the fishpond and we intend to make a
display of them in there - when we accumulate some more!

I can remember an older style square greenhouse up at the house end of
the garden (as opposed to the downhill end past the lawn) which was
completely stuffed! ;-) Lovely feeling of tropical luxuriance. (David
Poole told me it was his idea of perfection in a greenhouse) - is that
the one you mean? That'd be nice! Make sure they have a clear view of
the sky!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: