Old 18-04-2004, 05:30 AM
Brian

Default Toddler and laburnum

With very very few exceptions all poisonous plant material has a more than
terrible taste. More than enough to deter any child. Many years ago, as
students, we were encouraged to taste minute portions.To avoid having their
parts eaten, this has been part of plants' evolution. The fruit of the Yew
is an exception. Its red fleshy outside is very pleasant, and harmless, but
the encased seed is very poisonous and easily swallowed.
More lightly~~ Some years ago my wife was baby sitting the
grandchildren. The young g.daughter was playing on the lounge floor and her
[little older] brother lounging on the sofa.
He noticed that his sister had picked up a brown half eaten apple and was
about to eat it. " Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where its
been" he bossily said. A few minutes later she looked up at her brother who
was reading while sucking his thumb. "Don't put your thumb in your mouth,
you Do know where it's been"!! she reproved.
At that age they were 'lovely enough to eat'. Now as teenagers I
sometimes wish we had done so!! Not really.
Best Wishes.

"Rosie" wrote in message
I have a toddler and a medium-sized laburnum tree at the back of my

garden,
which seems to produce a lot of seeds.

How poisonous are these seeds? They do seem to get everywhere. Would I

be
best off getting rid of the tree?

(Obviously she isn't left to wander around the garden by herself, but she
does like shoving things in her mouth.)

ROSIE