Old 18-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Gareee©

Default Ponds without liners....

"JNJ" wrote in message
We live on a relatively small lot (50' x 200') and I was thinking about
putting a pond in the back yard in a particularly squishy area. The
soil here is clay based and if you dig down far enough (not too far at

all)
it's just nasty clay.

Other than lined ponds, I can't say as I know much about "natural" ponds,
i.e. those without a liner. I'm wondering if I can make one by

essentially
digging a hole deep enough. I suppose I could then either concrete it or
put in a liner of course, but the thought of setting it up au natural
intrigues me.

If you have the same type of clay we have, the water will just soak right
down within a day. For a cheap liner, buy one of those $10 round kid's pools
at walmart, and a can of black "Krylon FUSION" spray paint. Paint the pool
black with the krylon, and allow it to cure for the full recommended time
(about a week).

Dig a hole, and insert the pool into it. Leave 6" deep trench around the
pool, just like you would for a normal one, and use flagstone to cover the
pool's edges. It'll look great, and you can even add a spitter and pump if
you choose!

We picked up a few of the pools last year. when the season's over, walmart
clearances them for the lordly sum of $.50!

--
Gareee©
Homepage: