Old 18-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Mike

Default Toddler and laburnum

That is precisely why we have compiled the answers to the most
frequently asked questions and post a pointer to where they can be found
every single week.

It was more to do with Jackson's attitude and response than anything

This particular question may not have been added yet, which is why it is
sensible to look in Google.

Fair comment. I use google a lot

In answer to your babies analogy - if you don't know how to deal with a
baby, either you are told by a health professional who is *paid* to do
it, or by your mother, who, once she's sorted her own family, doesn't
expect to have to repeat it ad nauseam. Neither of those apply to us.

I think you missed the point a bit, but never mind :-))

The advice to anyone (newbie or not) who asks a question which has been
seen many times before is for their benefit:-
1) if you answer a question that you are bored stiff with, it is
difficult not to let this show in your answer. Not only can you appear
curt, you may cut corners with the reply

Don't reply then and let someone reply who will treat the newbie with a bit
of patience

2) if you, and others, refrain from answering questions you are bored
with, the number of suggestions may be limited compared with the number
that have been compiled into the FAQs.

if you 'and others'. 'Others' won't refrain. See my post above.

This is not about arrogance or contempt for inexperience.

It certainly looked like it in Jackson's posting and she has not had the
courtesy to apologise

I, and many others who find frequently repeating the same bit of advice,
answer newbies sympathetically when it's a question that hasn't appeared
recently, no matter how facile.

As it should be. 'ANY' newbie coming onto this newsgroup should be welcomed
and not intimidated by the 'Holders and Regulars' of this newsgroup. And yes
they 'are' intimidated.

Otoh, you, Mike, have demonstrated that you are more than happy to say
the same thing any number of times, so how about you taking on the job
of advising newbies with the frequently asked questions? You wouldn't
get bored, and they'd get their answers. Perfect!

Well if I had the experience of gardening, then yes I would and you are
correct I would have the patience and not get bored with the same question
coming up time and time again. That is the nature of life, there is always
someone coming up behind, waiting to be taught the same subject. Having been
an Instructor in GPO Training Schools where the same courses are done time
after time after time, the attention is paid to those who are coming in on a
Monday Morning who do not know the subject and go out on a Friday trained.
I have taught in the Prisons where you have to stay wake and keep your
'students' out of mischief, so you see I am well qualified to teach the
newbies with the patience required, I just don't know the subject of
gardening sufficiently to hold my ground with you experts, YOU are the ones
the newbies are seeking advice from. Just give them a bit of leeway, a bit
of tolerance, a bit of patience. Remember, you regulars who own and
'control' the newsgroup, you were newbies once, or were you born with all
the skills of gardening? To use a quote from one who is not so active now "I
think not"

Mike
--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th