Old 18-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Rob

Default giant ground wasp colony

Well, I tried to take some pics of the bees themselves, but they refused to
sit still. They are constantly in motion, and appear to be about 1/2" in
length, and from what I could see when I tried to get close to them, they
appeared to be greyish in color and perhaps even kind of fuzzy. Very
strange looking for a bee, but I could be wrong since they move really
quickly. I'm in the process of putting some high resolution, non bandwidth
friendly pics of their home at http://www.nema.com/rob/bees

Posters, thanks for the info on chemical killers, I have no issues with
that. Is this the sort of stuff I could pick up at Home Depot or would I
need to find some sort of specialty store?

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

says...
We have an absolutely huge colony of wasps on a strip of lawn. There

is
about a one foot tall mound of dirt that appears to be their main

entrance,
but they have literally hundreds of other entrances over a 30' x 8'

area.
At any given time during the day, there are dozens of bees all over

that
stretch of yard. When we have guests over, this is the area they

usually
park in. How can I possibly kill a colony this large, there must be
thousands of wasps.

Rob, the description you are describing sounds more like Cicada Killer

Wasps.
They are a solitary wasp that can nest in the same areas as many others. I
have never known anyone personally who has been stung by them. Only the
female has the stinger and she is usually only seen around the nest

stocking
it with food. If they are Cicada Killers, they will be gone in a few weeks
until next year. If you feel you need to do anything for them any sort of
insecticide labeled for ground wasps/bees works fine, just have to hit

each
individual opening. Digger bees would be another thought, but once again

they
are solitary in nature nesting along side others. They can be a long term
problem, but you can encourage them to move on by keeping the area wet. If
you happen to get a pic of the wasps/bees please post them somewheres fore
viewing or feel free to email them to me.
but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!