Old 18-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Steve

Default a question about soil

LG1111 wrote:

I have a perplexing problem, and I'm hoping someone here as some suggestions.

About 8-9 years ago, I had a combination of topsoil and compro (or whatever it
is they make out of ground up leaves) delivered for my vegetable gardens. for
the first several years, my routine veggie crops were spectacular. Lately,
though, I find that seeds won't germinate, even the easiest to grow veggies.
Beans, peas, etc...nothing. When I plan seedlings, though, I still get
respectable plants.

I suspect that my soil needs something. I'm awaiting the soil test results
from my local extension service, but each year, the results look the same, and
are usually not real helpful.

Any suggestions? Does this sound like an acidity problem? When you add lime,
how much?

Thanks,

Lee

First of all, seeds will sprout on nothing. The worst soil in the
world should be able to sprout seeds if the moisture and temperature
are reasonable. (Yeah, I can think of exceptions. I suppose if the
soil was so acid that it dissolved the seeds...)

Soil acidity is about the easiest thing to test for. Many people do
it themselves. Certainly your tests done by the extension service
will include a report on pH. If you need lime, I would think the
report would tell you that and should even tell how much.

Steve