Old 18-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Dustin

Default Fast drying potting media

I wasnt having a problem with rotting roots. I just wanted to be able
to water all of my plants on the same schedule that I use for my mounted
plants. Only my largest phals and 4 or 5 other plants are potted and
the bark stays wet for days and days.

Dustin

Ray wrote:

As phals and phrags like a pretty constant moisture supply, misting
heavily in the morning might not be sufficient - on gray days, sure, but
in sunny, warm conditions they might be dry totally be noon.

You might try filling a few pots with the gravel, put them along side of
the plants and water them via your misting. Wait a couple of hours and
dump one out. If it's still damp, you're OK so far. Wait a couple more
hors and dump another, then another, etc., and you can develop a drying
rate curve for yourself. Then carefully note the conditions so you can
compare it to extremes in your normal range of growing conditions.

If you are looking for a "fast drying medium" equating it with "no
root-rot," you're focusing incorrectly on the moisture-holding capacity
of the medium, rather than the airiness of it, and the medium' tendency to
decompose.