Old 18-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Need help with neighbors accusation

Do you have a pump in your pond? My understanding is that mosquitoes need
*still* water for the eggs to hatch. (Some of the worst offenders are
things like flowerpot saucers, tarps where water can collect, underused
birdbaths, etc. where water can stand -- often unnoticed.)

I don't know how to address the "rat" issues, since I can't imagine why
anyone would think that a pond would contribute to the rat population
anyway.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Bulldog" wrote in message
Our neighbors complained that my pond is breeding mosquitoes and rats.

Does
anyone have articles saying this is a myth?

As far as larvae and eggs go, I don't see any. In fact, my theory is that
the pond is a trap. Mosquitoes might lay eggs but the fish eat them.

This is serious and I hope someone has some ready documentation.