Old 18-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Dave Gower

Default Lawn and mowing questions...

"Scott B." wrote in message
om...
I am closing on my first house in just under a month and had a few
questions. The lawn will be seeded soon if it isn't already. What
steps should I take to ensure I end up with a good full lawn?

Avoid weed killers for the first summer. They don't kill the new grass but
really weaken it and slow it down, giving room for a second generation of
weeds. Pull by hand or just tolerate until next fall.

By reel mower I don't know if you mean hand-pushed. With half an acre I hope
you're in good shape (or healthy enough to become so) if you provide your
own power. If you get a rotary mower, make sure the blades are really sharp
because dull blades can damage new grass.

If you are serious about a hand-pushed mower, buy one that's not too wide.
They're cheap and fairly easy to push and even if you also get a power mower
they're nice for trimming around obstacles and in tight corners.

Enjoy.