Old 18-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Gouda&Brie4me

Default Potatoes in garbage bags

"simy1" wrote in message
m...
John Savage wrote in message

news:040413000110941.13Apr04$rookswood@suburbian. com...
(Marita J. Buffone) writes:
Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Supermarket potatoes grow perfectly! It is best to plant small whole

ones,
rather than be tempted to cut a large one up into separate pieces. The

cut
surfaces do tend to rot.

two ways to reduce rot are to dry the cut before planting, or rub it
in wood ash. I do the latter, and I guess that rotting happens 5% of
the time or less.

Hi. Read this thread with interest. Just curious, how many seed potatoes do
you plant in the tires? One, two, maybe? Also, how high or how many tires
would you stack and fill with mulch or whatever before you stop and wait
before you start harvesting the crop? I have access to lots of well
composted mushroom manure, would that be ok to use in the tires or would
that be too strong for the spuds? Just subscribed to this newsgroup, my
first post, hope this comes through ok. If not, my apologies, Bill.