Old 18-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Identifying a pest - help needed

The message
from MissJuggs contains these words:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 08:03:39 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

May I disagree Glenys ?

Of course you may. I did say possibly.

Glenda says they are smaller than a ladybird and all over the garden.
Lily beetles are bigger than ladybirds are usually only to be found
on lilies

Ah. See, I have superturbo charged ladybirds with giganticism
disease.

Mine dew, there are some fairly big ladybirds about. Last year I found
an Anatis ocellata (8-9mm) waving at me from my Black Hamburg, so I
rushed inside for my beetlebook, and was disappointed to find that they
are 'fairly common' in the UK.

It flew away home, but where it came from God knows - there aren't any
fir trees nearby that I know of.

The book doesn't list Lily Beetle under 'Common Names', and as all names
are in Latin with only the commonest (like cockchafer, stag beetle, dor
beetle) English names (it misses black beetle, death watch beetle, storm
beetle, etc) - Dammit! I'm getting engrossed in the book now! - I have
no idea what the lily beetle looks like.

The book, BTW, is an English edition of a Danish one, which may explain
but not excuse the paucity of English names.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/