Old 19-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Vox Humana

Default Fiberglass edging--any good?

"Tony" wrote in message
I'm looking at putting in some sizeable plant beds and need to pick a good
edging product. Most of my existing beds are using the black plastic
edging. I've tried working with that before, but a lot of the products

I've
seen use pretty hard plastic and don't give great results.

While wandering around Lowes I saw a product I hadn't seen
before--fiberglass edging. It's similar to the metal edging product that
has been available for a while, but is made of fiberglass and sold in a
roll. I'd imagine many companies sell this, but if you're not familiar

with
it, a link online to a product of this sort is
http://www.greenackors.com/install.htm

My question: has anyone used this product before? Is it any good? The
area I plan to use it in will have it separate a plant bed and a lawn, so

it
will get regular trimming using a string trimmer.

I just cut a beveled edge around my beds. I run the lawnmower tires along
the bevel and it keep everything neat without any extra effort. If you use
edging to separate the lawn from the beds you will have to use a string
trimmer along the edge. That's going to be a lot of work if you have some
"sizable plant beds." Landscaping services have edging machines and can
come in and cut the edge for you if you don't want to do it yourself. The
machines can cut up to 1200 feet/hour.