Old 19-04-2004, 01:03 AM

Default When to feed Rhodis

1) A friend in NYC has two established Rhodis and has heard that they
should not be fed until after they flower. The only reason I can
think of for this would be that nitrogen will encourage foliage at the
expense of flowers. But I have also heard that nitrogen encourages
all growth, including flowers. I'm planning to use the normal
Peter's Rhodondendron/Azalea blue crystaline food. I believe it's
24-12-12. Any thoughts on whether I can feed now?

2) Also, I'm planning to fertilize all beds, including the above one
with a commerical sand and manure (chicken and other, I believe)
product. Will I be providing too much nutrition if I feed and
compost? In the Rhodi bed I am not digging it in because of other
senitive roots (Lilly of the Valley) underfoot.

3) Are the lillies vulnerable to the high nitro or acidity of the
Rhodi food and fertilizer? I'm not uure what's been done here in the
past.

Thanks,

Michael