Old 19-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Sunflower

Default a question about soil

"LG1111" wrote in message
I have a perplexing problem, and I'm hoping someone here as some

suggestions.

About 8-9 years ago, I had a combination of topsoil and compro (or

whatever it
is they make out of ground up leaves) delivered for my vegetable gardens.

for
the first several years, my routine veggie crops were spectacular.

Lately,
though, I find that seeds won't germinate, even the easiest to grow

veggies.
Beans, peas, etc...nothing. When I plan seedlings, though, I still get
respectable plants.

I suspect that my soil needs something. I'm awaiting the soil test

results
from my local extension service, but each year, the results look the same,

and
are usually not real helpful.

Any suggestions? Does this sound like an acidity problem? When you add

lime,
how much?

Thanks,

Lee

Adding organic matter to your soil is not a "one time and you're done" type
of amending. It's a constant practice, and if you''ve not added any compost
or other organics to your soil lately, but have been harvesting out produce,
you're bankrupting the soil. YOu have to add organics back in to balance
the equation. pH adjusting isn't overnight either, and should be an ongoing
project monitored by soil tests.