Old 19-04-2004, 02:10 PM
D Russell

Default fly eating plants

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Kay Easton17/4/04 12:22
snip

I also have cacti and insectivores - so if your greenhouse is warm
enough in winter for your cacti, it should be fine for the insectivores.

But be careful how you control mealy bug and red spider - the
insectivores won't thank you for spraying insecticides around and
killing off their food!

Kay, we bought two Saracenias yesterday at the RHS road show from The

Little
Shop of Horrors chap. I have never been especially interested in
carnivorous plants before and had no idea how beautiful they can be.

We're
going to buy a few from him wholesale and will be going up to visit him
soon. He suggests keeping them in a just frost free greenhouse in the
winter because, he says, being too warm encourages them too grow *too*

much,
thus exhausting themselves! Has that been your experience of them?
I don't know how much you remember of this place but there's a small,
square, conservatory type greenhouse by the fishpond and we intend to make

display of them in there - when we accumulate some more!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

I suspect this is exaclty what's been happening to my pitcher, it's spent
all winter in a heated greenhouse, and has started growing loads of new,
flat leaves, not the pitchers that you'd expect. It is potted in a
peat/perlite mixture, but I think it's got a few too many nutrients from
somewhere. Still I reckon I'll harden it off again and plonk it outside for
now, hopefully it'll start to re-grow the pitchers soon enough.
Duncan