Old 19-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Default Help identify a tree

Do the large seed cones (not the small pollen or male cones) point up or
down?? What part of the world are you in? Do the needles stay on all year or
fall off in winter?

A pic would sure expedite this process.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"Sophia" wrote in message
om...
Can someone help identify a tree that is growing in our front yard?
It is an evergreen, about 25' and probably around 25 yrs old. It has
blue-green needles (~3/4" long) growing mostly in clusters. The cones
grow from the middle of the needle clusters. They are on average 1
1/4" long, skinny, soft and scaly. They resemble brown caterpillars,
and there are tons of them. The bark is dark and scaly.
We have lived here for 19 years and the tree was probably planted the
year before we bought the house. At the time it was 8'-9' and had
sparse unevenly spaced horizontal branches (my husband nicknamed it
'Bill-the-Cat tree' for its spastic appearance).

A landscaper we used called it a larch, but it doesn't look like any
pictures of larches that I found.

Thanks!
Sophia