Old 19-04-2004, 05:05 PM
seed lover

Default Beginner luck ?

"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:xwGgc.24003$ru4.20587@attbi_s52...

[ . . . ]

You did not give any information about the second fishes condition.

The second fish had a symetrical lesion on its left side. My roommate
discovered the dead fish while I was out of town, so I didn't
experience the event first hand.

It may be advisable to go to http://www.akca.org/ and see if there is a
local koi club and a contact.
Most of the koi clubs have a health hotline or koi health associate that is
willing to come and look at your fish and do the necessary microscopic
evaluation for any needed treatment. You also did not give specific
information on the ammonia level, nitrite level, KH or pH.

Your pond is pretty small for koi.

I guess I have to do some serious thinking about how to proceed,
vis-a-vis my pond population.

I have over 4000 gallons in my larger pond with about 25 koi that will
average close to 24 inches each. The rule can be violated with enough
filtration, but the smaller the pond, the faster it changes from good water
to poor water.

How do I make my pond filtration more agressive? What can I do to
retrofit the existing set up?

--
RichToyBox