Old 19-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Ignoramus8790

Default distance between FRUIT trees, and fertilisation

We just cut down a few worthless trees (with some harrowing
experiences) and are going to plant some useful, productive trees such
as apples, cherries etc. They will be in a row about 10-12 feet from
the fence. In the next row (right next to the fence) will be occupied
by shrubs such as black currant and gooseberries and such.

My question is, what are the guidelines for distance between these
plants.

Second question. The trees that we are cutting down are deciduous
(with spikes instead of leaves) (I hope that I got it right) and the
soil is not that great. Would it be a good idea to completely till the
area and dump a few dozen sacks of topsoil in the area.

Third question. The trees that we are planting, for the first year,
will be pretty small with a small root system. Sould it be prudent to
plant potatoes for that first year, between trees but at a few feet
distance from them. Would hate to see this tilled space go unused.