Old 19-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Larry Noah

Default Opinions sought on using clear plastic cover for tomato cages

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:51:08 GMT, "Newbee" wrote:

Hi, I am new to gardening. I just ordered some tomato plants. I plan to
grow the plants in pots. I plan to use concrete reinforced wire mesh for
the cages. But I have squirrels mice and birds who will be interested in
these plants. The squirrels ate my spring bulbs! So I was thinking about
covering the mesh cages with clear plastic painter's drop cloths. I don't
want to buy the tomato teepee. What do you think about my plans? Thanks in
advance for your feedback.

I would not recommend plastic. We have found that when squirrels eat
tomatoes it is for the moisture content. We keep a bird/squirrel
waterer going and have had no problems since.