Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Dogger

Default Recycle builders bag for compost container?

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:47:03 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

X-posting. Yes, I know I am a bad person :-)

I was just about to order a couple of plastic compost bins from the council

snip

AFAIKT these should be significantly larger than the 330l bins at £16 a pop
(plus £4 delivery in total which makes the bins effectivley £18 delivered to
me).

snip LB Croydon do them for £5 delivered.
Not as pretty, and would need a decent cover to keep moist/dry but perhaps
an effecient use of resources?

These bag things are supposed to bio-degrade, so only a solution for a year
or so.

The challenge now is to get 4 stout stakes which will not rot quickly for
under £4 each (which may not be as easy as it first seems, having seen the
prices they charge in the sheds).

So:

(1) any drawbacks to this cunning plan apart from the hideous whiteness? I
do plan to make holes to allow drainage and ingress of earthworms.

(2) suggestions for the best place to obtain 4 * (at least 4' high) 2*2 rot
resistant posts for under £16? Or will just filling the bags (which will not
result in such a neat shape) be an acceptable solution?

The best thing would be top get some pallets, the "Gypsum" used for
delivering Breese Blocks ones are best as they some apart easier.
There is loads of them in skips.

Use the Board as the sides of your compost bin and the Bearer as the
uprights. Then just paint with preservative. I have some plans for
the commpost bin and coldframe I made. If you want I will email them
to you.