Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

Default Rhubarb

In article , Vicky
writes
I love rhubarb and the quality in the shops at the moment is terrible. My
mother had a huge rhubarb patch that we used to help her harvest years ago
and I want to grow my own but have limited space. I've read that it
shouldn't be harvested for at least a year after planting.

Don't harvest the first year, thereafter leave at least one open leaf on
each crown, and stop picking in July.

What I'd like to know is how big is the root spread? (I might put it in the
spot where I currently have a pampas if I win the battle in removing said
pampas but it's putting up a brave fight) And can I grow it in large pots
or anything similar?

It doesn't spread as such, but it does grow big - say 3ft long stems
with another 2.5 ft of leaf on the end of that. I think it'd fit in your
pampas grass hole.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: