Old 19-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Enuf

Default a question about soil

(LG1111) wrote in message ...
I have a perplexing problem, and I'm hoping someone here as some suggestions.

Lately, though, I find that seeds won't germinate, even the easiest to
grow veggies. Beans, peas, etc...nothing.

When I plan seedlings, though, I still get respectable plants.

Makes me doubt the soil is the problem. There are several other
possibilities however. Is the seed fresh (harvested last growing
season)? Is the soil warm enough? Does the seeds/sprouts get enough
moisture? Are birds or insects getting your seeds?

I'm awaiting the soil test results from my local extension service.

Any suggestions? Does this sound like an acidity problem? When you add lime,
how much?

Your soil test results should tell you. Don't guess - go with what
they tell you. Your soil ph ideally should be 6.0 to 6.7 (slightly
acidic) for vegetables. Typically for a soil ph around 4.5, you would
add about 150 pounds of lime per 1000 sq. ft. (15 lbs/100 sq ft, 1.5
lbs/10 sq ft. etc). Powdered lime will work through the soil much
faster than pelletized lime, however the pelletized is much easier to
use if you have a big area to do.

Enuf