Old 19-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Kay Easton

Default Basil & other herbs

In article , Zymurgy
writes
Anyone know of any decent online references ?

I have several mature basil plants, but they have gone into flower.

Is this good ? I am trying to maximise crop and longevity.

Once cropped, will they regrow or should I replant more from seed ?

Basil likes hot dry mediterranean places. You'll find it difficult to
overwinter in UK. Best to grow new each year. But flowering shouldn't be
a problem.

I also have a mature Bayleaf (shrub !)

If it's mature it should be a tree! ;-)
No need to prune it, but you may want to trim it to keep it in shape.
Once it's a decent size, maximising crop doesn't come into it - there's
far too many leaves to use.

and some large Rosemary plants.

They should go on for a good few years but get straggly if you don't
trim them. I usually prune after flowering. Again, unless your planning
to be a commercial herb supplier, I don't think there's any need
consciously to maximise crop.

ISTR hearing about using rosemary twigs as skewers for kebabs. Seasoning
and cooking utensil all in one.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: