Old 19-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Kay Easton

Default Basil & other herbs

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Zymurgy
writes
Anyone know of any decent online references ?

The Edible Herb FAQ on rec.gardens.edible.

Basil likes hot dry mediterranean places. You'll find it difficult to
overwinter in UK. Best to grow new each year. But flowering shouldn't be
a problem.

No, No, NO!!! It is NOT a Mediterranean herb, and does NOT like hot,
dry conditions!

Yes, you're right - I wasn't thinking. I didn't know it was tropical,
but I know it doesn't like dry conditions. Wrong sort of leaves. When
was it first introduced into the med?

They should go on for a good few years but get straggly if you don't
trim them. I usually prune after flowering. Again, unless your planning
to be a commercial herb supplier, I don't think there's any need
consciously to maximise crop.

I find that I need to layer them once every 3-5 years, as they tend to
drop dead in wet winters. That is about all the treatment they get :-)

I've lost the odd one to that sort of creeping fungal disease that they
get. But the rest just keep growing. Odd that they should survive my
winters on cold wet clay and not yours - but them Cambs could well be
colder than W Yorks ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: