Old 19-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Emery Davis

Default Basil & other herbs

On 19 Apr 2004 21:12:38 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) said:

] In article ,
] Kay Easton wrote:
] In article , Zymurgy
] writes
] Anyone know of any decent online references ?
]
[]
] I also have a mature Bayleaf (shrub !)
]
] If it's mature it should be a tree! ;-)
] No need to prune it, but you may want to trim it to keep it in shape.
] Once it's a decent size, maximising crop doesn't come into it - there's
] far too many leaves to use.
]
] Er, yes. Surplus stems make good firewood, roof beams and so on.
]

A large tree, to boot. Don't throw the leaves on the fire, though, it spits
like crazy. Can't say I've tried cured wood though, I really just chop
enough out of mine to keep the path clear. It's, uh, vigorous.

] and some large Rosemary plants.
]
] They should go on for a good few years but get straggly if you don't
] trim them. I usually prune after flowering. Again, unless your planning
] to be a commercial herb supplier, I don't think there's any need
] consciously to maximise crop.
]
] I find that I need to layer them once every 3-5 years, as they tend to
] drop dead in wet winters. That is about all the treatment they get :-)
]

I've had that problem, most annoying. What do you mean by "layer"
exactly? Forgive my ignorance, but if you've a way to keep them alive,
I'd love to learn it. My two are just nice and big, and in full bloom now.
But about 5 years ago 2 others this size just quit over the winter...

A grilling trick with rosemary (or thyme) for those that don't know it:
it imparts a delicious flavour via the smoke, and smokes like crazy on
even a very hot fire. We often grill on an open wood fire (just in the fireplace)
and throw a couple of branches of rosemary on at the end. Adds a
wonderful touch to meat, fish, veg, whatever. (We also use sage clippings
this way, but the effect is less pronounced).

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to