Old 19-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Basil & other herbs

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
[]
] I also have a mature Bayleaf (shrub !)
]
] If it's mature it should be a tree! ;-)
]

A large tree, to boot. Don't throw the leaves on the fire, though, it spits
like crazy. Can't say I've tried cured wood though, I really just chop
enough out of mine to keep the path clear. It's, uh, vigorous.

Only a medium tree - rarely above 50'!

] I find that I need to layer them once every 3-5 years, as they tend to
] drop dead in wet winters. That is about all the treatment they get :-)

I've had that problem, most annoying. What do you mean by "layer"
exactly? Forgive my ignorance, but if you've a way to keep them alive,
I'd love to learn it. My two are just nice and big, and in full bloom now.
But about 5 years ago 2 others this size just quit over the winter...

Where they straggle, pin the branches under the soil. You can use a
skewer, tent peg, stone or whatever. At that point, they will start
new roots, form a new plant, and it will behave like a youngster
(see Rackham). This works for most straggling woody plants and a
lot of straggling herbaceous ones.

The advantages for the amateur are legion. If it fails, you lose
nothing. The plant grows and flowers as normal, and may or may not
start some new roots. And you don't need to give it ANY attention
while it is doing so :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.