Old 20-04-2004, 07:04 AM
Ray Drouillard

Default Does old cut grass help?

"Fred Theilig" wrote in message
news:Fo_gc.7553$2e6.638@lakeread01...

Loki wrote:

il Tue, 13 Apr 2004 02:18:24 GMT, "jm" ha scritto:

Does mulch mean I can mix it up in the soil before I plant the seeds?
How
long does it have to sit around before I can use it?

Grass clippings will remove a lot of the nitrogen from the soil to
help it break down. Sounds like if it's in bags you may be making
silage...

Are you sure of that? My understanding (and experience) is that grass
clippings will add nitrogen to
the soil. I used fresh clippings on tomatoes many years ago and I had
giant plants with few fruit.
Also, they matted down a lot and I had trouble with blossom end rot.

If you use lots of nitrogen fertilizer on your grass, finding some in
the clippings wouldn't be unexpected.

Ray