Old 20-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Buddleja alternifolia

In article , Glen Able
writes
Hi all,

Can anyone give me some clues about how to look after my new 18" Buddleja
alternifolia, please?

I'm especially confused about the fact that it's tied to a thin stake,
looking much more like, say, a Russian vine than the B.davidiis that I'm
used to. I assume I should leave the stake when I plant it out - will I
need to do any pruning or staking in the near future?

According to Hessayon: Just plant it in a sunny position with the stake
to give it some support from wind until it becomes established. Then cut
back branches bearing faded blooms immediately after flowering. Then
just sit back and watch it get bigger and bigger each year. Another name
for it is Fountain Buddleia as its foliage resembles a tumbling
fountain. No idea why it is called alternifolia
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.