Old 20-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Kay Easton

Default Solar Garden Lights

In article , Robert E A
Harvey writes
Mike wrote:
Thanks Bob. I had given that thought, less time in the winter, but
hadn't thought of figures and the length of darkness in the winter.
They will be used predominantly for illumination in the winter, up to
about 11.00pm when I come in from a night out with the boys;-)

I have about 8 that I bought from Sander's garden centre in Burnham-on-Sea,
and for the first year most of them stayed on for about 5 hours after dark,
summer or winter. Now only 3 can manage that. The instructions do say to
change the nicad batteries once a year as they wear out, so I will be doing
that if I get the tuits. Now, since they manage 5 hours regardless, it
appears that the limiting factor with mine is not the solar cell but the
battery capacity -

That is a possibility - my father acquired a cheap one from a garage and
passed it to me. I am trying it out between greenhouse and hedge,
overshadowed by a elderberry. To my surprise, the thing was still
glowing at 5am.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: