Old 20-04-2004, 04:04 PM

Default fish are hungry and I feel guilty

if the temp been up that long then feed em.. but feed em lightly and check water
quality. most critters live in the sweater algae. Ingrid

(Wilmoe) wrote:

Hello. The temperature of my 350 gallon pond has been over 50 degrees for about
10 days now. I just installed a new pump and filter with UV. The water is
clearing up well. Now, all seven fish survived and they really seem hungry.
They all grew over the winter. Two questions to those that know please.
1) Does the UV destroy any significant amount of naturally occuring food that
the fish have come to depend on?, and
2) The fish have never been so bold as they have been lately. They do not
scatter to the hidden corners when I approach the pond. Do you think they are
starving and are willing to hang around in open water hoping to get some food?
I am afraid they may mistake a heron for me.
I have been giving about a teaspoon of fish grub each day since they get so
excited. In all I'm talking 38" spread across seven fish, one goldfish (5",
four years old) and six koi.

Thank you,

Bill
Mukilteo, WA