Old 20-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Steve Haigh

Default Do plants have brain?

Cereus-validus wrote:
No doubt.
http://www.friesian.com/penrose.htm

http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/v2/ps...6-moravec.html

But what does it have to do with gardening?

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article yrOgc.45$oI2.0@newsfe1-win,
"Andy Hunt" writes:
| So how do plants know which way is 'up', then, when they are

germinating in

| the dark . . . ? Does this not imply some sort of perceptive and
| decision-making capability, albeit on a fairly mundane level?

No. How does water know which way is down when it is running down a
slope? How does a compass know to point north?

No. It slightly goes against the grain to recommend anything by
Richard Dawkins (he is widely regarded as a pain in the a*** by
other scientists)

Not by any scientists I know. I don't know many zoologists and
biologists though, so maybe in his own area he not so well thought off.
Is there a reason for this, has he upset them in some way or is it just
because he's famous?

, but his books do explain how this for of thing
develops without consciousness.

They do indeed.

Roger Penrose also wrote a couple of excellent book on conciousness
called "Shadows of the Mind" and "The Emperor's New Mind".

I'm not sure, but then this thread appears to have nothing to do with
gardening anyway. After reading Penrose's books I'm not even sure I have
a brain. But I must do, 'cos I don't top post;-)