Old 20-04-2004, 10:02 PM
SugarChile

Default short grass?

Just be aware, a bit further south of you in PA, my lily of the valley goes
dormant about mid-summer, especially in a dry year. Doesn't mean you can't
put in some patches of it, but I wouldn't count on it as a lawn substitute.

There are other ground covers that would work. Vinca is almost evergreen
for me, needs no attention once established, and has pleasant blue flowers
this time of year. You could interplant it with blue hyacinths for an
especially nice spring show.

You would need to mulch it and pay attention to watering for the first year,
possibly two, but once it fills in there's not much maintenance.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA
"Kate Connally" wrote in message
Even lily of the valley looks good
as a pseudo-lawn with the right landscaping and no foot traffic.

Hey, I wonder if that would work. I absolutely love
Lily of the Valley. Okay, I'm in Pittsburgh, PA which is
about zone 5-6. My front yard is a postage stamp. The
back yard is about twice as big. The front yard definitely
gets no traffic as it's small and I have a large front porch
with a glider. I could put almost anything in front.