Old 20-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Sparrows!

In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
So they still remember how to do that do they.

Many, many years ago when I worked on the parks in Hastings we always had
pieces of wood about 12inches long pushed into the beds of polyanthus and
black cotton strung between them to form a confusing weave to keep the
sparrows off.

We always reckoned that they used them as part of their courtship ritual.

Well, the one's I have seen doing just seem to be doing it for fun - not
another bird in sight!!! They just snip off the flower, look at it then
snip off the next one and so on and so forth. Don't seem to sip any
nectar . . . just snip, snip, snip (((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.