Old 21-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Lar

Default Unusual Beehaviour

In article ,
says...
We recently were lucky enough to have a "mess" of honey bees (we think)
claim the nook of a CrapeMyrtle Tree in our backyard. I noticed them
Saturday morning while building a compost bin in the backyard out by the
alley. At first I thought it was a bird's nest because I saw this brown
glob under the leaves. After a little closer inspection I discovered they
were bees and went to tell my husband and the guy friend that was helping me
build the composter. Well, my friend got all freaked out and thought they
were killer bees and wanted me to call someone to have them removed. We
were using drills and saws and making all kinds of noise that day about five
feet from the nest. After researching on the Web a little I don't think
they were Africanized bees or I think the buzzing of the power tools would
have annoyed them to attack. Anyway, they stayed over the weekend and we
all speculated on what they were doing and why. Sunday night they were
gone. Now, there are about four bees, I saw two today on the same spot on
the tree where there were hundreds only yesterday. I have never seen this
many bees close up and I wondered if the Beekeepers out there could advise
on what they might have been doing and why.
Thanks for all your wonderful information and help!
--
Rita
Garland, TX

As the colony grows they will "swarm" .. the old queen will move on with a
bunch of followers. They will find a place to hold up for a few days while a
suitable location for the hive to set up then they will set up residence in
the new home.
but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!