Old 21-04-2004, 02:03 AM
belly

Default Assistance for faster compost please

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:55:30 -0400 in
, "JRYezierski"
graced the world with this thought:

What can I add to my compost pile of hay and goat/rabbit manure and some
leaves to speed up the composting time.
I did layer it somewhat with older compost/dirt from an older pile,did wet
it and have covered it up with a tarp(I found out that does help speed up
the breakdown process as the pile doesn't dry out)
Thanks all you composters
Jerome

Grass clippings won't hurt, but that rabbit and goat crap should get
it going pretty quickly. Keep the pile damp, toss it once a week, and
get yourself a pitchfork, go around the sides every couple days, and
loosen it up with the pitchfork around the sides, so it gets air.
Covering it with a tarp might help raise the temperature, but it needs
air to live.