Old 21-04-2004, 05:13 AM
Cereus-validus

Default Do plants have brain?

We will miss you most of all, Scarecrow.

Any way you look at it, this newsgroup is about gardening and not you nor
what you believe.

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

That some New Age clowns

Who are these people of whom you speak? The old teacher of mine to whom I
was referring was a man called Stafford Beer. If you do a 'google' search,
you'll soon discover that your label is somewhat wide of the mark.

are too lazy to actually do any real research into
the subject show just how ignorant and stupid they really are and that

they
should not be given any serious consideration at all. They have been
watching too much bad sci-fi on TV. They are clueless about the

scientific
method and how to apply it to even the most basic problems.

I am very well aware of the theory of geotropism etc, although you

somewhat
dangerously assume that I am not. I got my 'A' at 'O' level biology, and

do
still recall the subject matter. I believe wholeheartedly in science as a
tool of consciousness, but at the same time I'm very much aware that the
reductionist nature of science can lead us into a 'false sense of
obscurity'. A plant is an autopoietic viable system which has the

requisite
variety to comprehend and adapt to its environment in the same way that a
human being has. Both systems necessarily have ways of perceiving that
environment, and ways of reacting to that environment. The biological
details may differ, but the purpose is the same.

I was merely pointing out that biology isn't necessarily the whole story.
Then again, I do believe in a "Creator", so I possibly _do_ belong to the
lunatic "New Age" fringe of which you are so fond.

In any case, the extent of their ineptitude has noting to do with

gardening.

Ever read the parable of the tares . . . ? Or of the vineyard? There are
some pretty decent gardening tips in the NT if you ask me! Roll on the

great
harvest . . .

Andy