Old 21-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Lazarus Cooke

Default Basil & other herbs

In article , David W.E.
Roberts wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
. ..
snip
] and some large Rosemary plants.
]
] They should go on for a good few years but get straggly if you don't
] trim them. I usually prune after flowering. Again, unless your planning
] to be a commercial herb supplier, I don't think there's any need
] consciously to maximise crop.
]
] I find that I need to layer them once every 3-5 years, as they tend to
] drop dead in wet winters. That is about all the treatment they get :-)

snip
I find that Rosemary (along with Lavender) roots amazingly easy as a
cutting, from hard, semi hard or even softwood.
Just stick a piece of branch in the ground and stand back (well, perhaps not
quite that easy, but very easy to propogate).
So if layering takes up too much space, just shove some trimmings in the
ground and wait a bit.

The other thing is to do it in advance, so that you have one or two
ones of croppable size when your main one decides to die (as I think
mine is doing right now)

:L

--
Remover the rock from the email address