Old 21-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Assistance for faster compost please

JRYezierski said:

What can I add to my compost pile of hay and goat/rabbit manure and some
leaves to speed up the composting time.

Air -- ideally, the base of the pile should be constructed in some way to let
air enter at the bottom, and then convection will carry it up through the composting
matter.

I did layer it somewhat with older compost/dirt from an older pile,did wet
it and have covered it up with a tarp (I found out that does help speed up
the breakdown process as the pile doesn't dry out)

Mix the pile up thoroughly. Get air into the bottom. Put some airways up
through the pile. The tarp may help keep the pile from drying out, but make
sure it isn't also preventing the pile from breathing -- you may need to suspend
it over the pile somehow. A fast, hot composting pile needs to breathe.

Send me an email (see sig for correction) and I can send you some information
on hot, batch composting.

(attributed to Don Marti)