Old 21-04-2004, 05:05 PM
really ka30p

Default creating a pond to drain water from soggy yard

Pond, swamp, bog garden - depends on the amount of water getting into it at
any one time.

I'd prefer to think of it as a wetland :-)

Anyway, wetlands are good. Too many of them are being drained and paved over.
Wetlands filter all sorts of stuff from run off water and help regulate water
flow to stem flooding.

I think it sounds like a grand idea! It can be planted with all sorts of plants
who like wet feet. You might have a regional nursery nearby which will carry
those kinds of plants.

In my standing water frog bog I have lizard's tail, cattails, pennywort,
aquatic forget-me-not, marsh marigold, rushes, pickerel, miniature horsetail
rush, sweetflag. Absolutely fascinating discovery one day was the appearance of
a carnivorous bladderwort plant that must have arrived via birdy business.
Loverly little yellow flowers on slender stems with the carnivorous bladders
below in the water.
I toss Mosquito Bits in it to keep out mosquito larva and have my teenagers
wade in and yank up stuff when it gets too full of plants.

I really enjoy it and love to scoop up water and mud from time to time and see
who is living in it. We've found dragon and damselfly nymphs, mayfly larva,
bloodworms, seed shrimp and other fascinating critters. Right now we are
raising tree frog eggs in it and trying to catch one lady bullfrog who has
moved in to eat the baby tree froglets when they emerge.

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)