Old 21-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Sudden oak death

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
I've got a couple of oak trees in the garden, and I have been

researching
this because I'd hate to see them go, and worse I'd hate to harbour it
unwittingly if my trees get it.

But on reading http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/newram.pdf I was
suprised to see that it can affect more than just oaks, something that

was
not at all clear from the BBC/newspaper stories that started me on this
search. Googling the group shows that there are people here less

ignorant
than I.

That's quite a useful document from defra and I commend it to anyone who

is
growing, or particularly thnking of buying, trees or broadleaf shrubs.

Having just purchased 1200 young trees for our new local Park it makes
rather sombre reading.

--
Regards
Bob

Don't panic! it seems well established now in Cornwall and is effecting the
evergreen oaks but not the English variety, its the Viburnums and Rhodos
that are being killed with camellias being eyed with suspicion for
harbouring it, We have been inspected twice now (no sign here yet) but don't
grow any of the worse effected species, the inspectors now reckon its been
active for at least 10 years before anyone noticed it. and at least one
garden is refusing to remove an effected Holm oak, apparently on the grounds
that they want to see how slowly it progresses!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk