Old 21-04-2004, 07:02 PM
dps

Default Edible stuff in the front yard

Assuming you're in a part of the country that experiences winter, I
would recommend against annual crops in the front yard. Your front yard
will look like bare soil (or weeds) for more than half the year and your
neighbors may be upset (depending on your neighbors).

You might consider perennial crops. Fruit trees are common and can be
used as screens in the summer. Berries, particularly those that grow on
shrub-like bushes, can be attractive.

If appearances are a problem, you could plant a hedge at the front of
your yard to block the view of your crops. In that case the area used by
the hedge serves a function of a fence. It can reduce road noise. If the
hedge produces berries it can also feed wildlife.

When we first started farming, I had a similar bias toward food crops
over decorative crops. Then one year we grew winter squash and gourds.
Very similar crops. The winter squash brought in $.25/lb. The gourds
brought in $.99/lb. People are willing to pay for decorative items, but
food in this country is supposed to be cheap.

We now grow both food and pick-your-own flowers. The flowers are very
popular, and bring in more than the veggies in dollars/acre.

Ignoramus31046 wrote:
Being from a country where people considered their land plots as
source of food rather than entertainment, I have hard times
reconciling myself with gardening decorative plants. I personally
plant only what I can eat. Although I would not mind my spouse
devoting herself to planting flowers and whatnot, this is not
something that I see myself doing.

My question, rather, is, what varieties of plants that produce FOOD
can be planted in the FRONT yard.

Some things come to mind.

1. Sunflowers -- beautiful flowers that make nice seeds
2. Corn -- tall grass with some view blocking properties that looks
nice and is also obviously edible. Adds a rustic look to the area
3. Fruit trees -- great flowering in the spring and great looking
crops in the fall.

I am thinking of setting up a nicely decorated compost pile in the
front yard next year, and growing squash in it.

Any other ideas for food plants that look nice int he front yard?