Old 21-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Edible stuff in the front yard

What part of the world/country you live in will help determine what
plants might do well-- as well as which direction your front yard
faces. My east facing front is less/more suited to some things than
say a north facing front.

Ignoramus31046 wrote:

Being from a country where people considered their land plots as
source of food rather than entertainment, I have hard times

-snip-

Just curious, but where is that? I'm a native USAn & I still like to
make most of the plants I put in have some culinary or medicinal use.

-snip-
My question, rather, is, what varieties of plants that produce FOOD
can be planted in the FRONT yard.

You asked someone else what Rhubarb was good for-- I like it just as
a sauce with a dab of ice cream, but it also makes a great cobbler --
If you like marmalades at all, here's a simple recipe that is
scrumptious-
1lb rhubarb
1 lemon
2.5 cups sugar
slice rhubarb thinly - don't peel
zest entire lemon and mix with rhubarb
mix in sugar & let sit on counter overnight

In the AM, add the juice of the lemon & bring quickly to soft ball
stage-- Jar & seal. Good immediately-- better in a month or so.

-snip-
3. Fruit trees -- great flowering in the spring and great looking
crops in the fall.

I'm in zone 5-6 & was pleased to find that my flowering Almond not
only has gorgeous pink flowers in early spring, it also bears a bunch
of almonds. My peach tree is out back, but would look nice next to
my Almond. Neither takes any where near the care that my apple trees
do & both bear more fruit.

If you get lots of sun there I like my Lovage plant & it takes little
care-- Borage never did so well for me, but it is fun to eat the
flowers--- and speaking of flowers, be sure to throw in some
nasturtiums. The flowers & the leaves are a great addition to summer
salads.

Jim