Old 21-04-2004, 08:10 PM
tmtresh

Default Edible stuff in the front yard

"dps" wrote in message
Assuming you're in a part of the country that experiences winter, I
would recommend against annual crops in the front yard. Your front yard
will look like bare soil (or weeds) for more than half the year and your
neighbors may be upset (depending on your neighbors).

I disagree. Many people plant annual flowers, and flowers such as daffodils
and tulips don't keep they're foliage year-round (or even all summer). When
vegetables stop producing, or are ready to be pulled (radishes, etc), you
can readily plant more. The ground doesn't have to be bare for long.
Vegetables can be very complimentary with flowers or other perenials. And
with things like lettuce and herbs don't have to all be cut at once. It's
good for show to leave the bulk of such plants. Even if he did cut them all
at once, they'd readily grow back. There is no reason food plants can't be
planted as display plants or even in the same bed as non-food plants (as
long as you can tell them apart, you wouldn't want to eat non-food plants) I
think it's kind of funny how strict some people are with 'flowers in front,
vegetables in back'.

For the record, I don't have food plants in my front yard only because I
can't find any small plants that grow in full shade-- I'd love any
suggestions. My backyard is mixed-- strawberries, roses, peas, cotoneaster,
lilac, raspberries-- soon to plant my annual veggiesand maybe some
geraniums.