Old 21-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Fertilizer and ponds . . .

"joe" wrote in message
I think the difference between runoff from the yard and fertilizer in the
pots is a matter of volume. The (relatively) small amount used to

fertilize
the stuff in pots would not likely cause a problem to the pond.

snip

I agree, and would add that it is a matter of control. I fertilize my pond
with miracle grow sometimes, but in small doses. I know how much goes in and
I can measure the effect. Chances are the run off in your yard is not toxic
and you may not ever notice any detriment to you pond aside from a few algae
blooms, but the mere fact that something unknown "could" be in the run off,
makes all run-off a good rule of thumb avoidance issue.

Just as I would not eat a Krispy Creme found sitting in the middle of the
road, I do not let outside chemicals enter my pond if neccessary.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com