Old 21-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default creating a pond to drain water from soggy yard

"Offbreed" wrote in message
Janet Price wrote:

Hi,

I have a yard that's soggy in places. The soil's mostly clay and
stones. I had a landscaper out for a free consultation on solving the
problem and he suggested building a small pond (10' x 15' x 4 ' deep at
the deep end) in the low corner of the yard and next year if necessary,
put in some underground pipes to help drain water into it. From reading
the FAQ for this list, it seems to me that I wouldn't be creating a pond
but a small swamp.

Sounds like a mosquito farm. You might have a rough time finding fish
that will survive well enough to keep the bugs down, depending on what
gets washed in.

On the other hand...I'd rather have an "area" of water sogginess then a yard
of sogginess. I'd rather have to deal with the pit, then the entire yard.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com