Old 21-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default creating a pond to drain water from soggy yard

"Olde Hippee" wrote in message
I agree with Joe. Our first pond was built exactly the way you had
described, and when it rained, the fish could have ended up swimming all
over that part of the yard and grass surrounding the pond. They never
seemed to, but the junk that got in the pond was amazing, especially the
oil slicks that came from who knows where or what kind of oil. After a
rain it took days for the muddy muck to settle so you could see the fish
again. We miraculously never lost any fish to insecticides or fertilizer
or oil slick, but we ended up putting the fish into a horse trough hooked
up to the filtration system and redug the pond, adding an 18" wall around
it above the ground. We still had to deal with the water around the pond
as it still gathered there. We put in the sump pump as Joe said and
gravel covered pipes to direct water to concrete block well with the sump
pump.

With all this in mind you can now place your pond in the spot you most
want it, not being confined to the 'wet spot'. I can think of several
other spots I would put ours now instead of where it is.

snip

Just to clarify...the OP was not asking about pond location selection, but
how to deal with a soggy yard, and a pond was offered as the solution. I
still think it is a good one, if the OP goes with a bog type setup.
Certainly not a good idea, either aesthetically or safety wise for a Koi
pond, but it would make for a great bog area.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com